What is Semrush? A Complete Guide to Semrush Features, Metrics, and Reporting Dashboards
What’s Semrush and which features work best for tracking and improving your search rankings? Here’s everything you need to know.
Filip Stojanovic on April 12, 2022 (last modified on December 2, 2022) • 27 minute read
Keyword research, competitive analysis, site audits, traffic analytics, link building. These are just some of the things you have to work on when creating a great SEO strategy for your company.
While SEO can be complicated and difficult to understand, this is still one of the best ways to draw traffic and improve your website’s search ranking.
However, going through the different research and analysis processes can become even harder if you don’t have the right digital marketing tools at your disposal.
This is where Semrush steps in.
Over the last few years, Semrush has become one of the most popular SEO tools for companies that need help optimizing their website for search engines and running digital marketing campaigns.
Do the advanced features and metrics in the software seem a bit too complicated to understand? Don’t worry, we will explain everything you need to know about Semrush and how you can use it to take your SEO strategy to the next level.
- What is Semrush and How Does It Work?
- Is Semrush a Free Tool?
- What Is the Difference Between Semrush and Google Analytics?
- What Is the Difference Between Semrush and Ahrefs?
- Most Powerful Semrush Features for Improving Your Search Rankings
- Semrush Metrics: How to Track & Visualize Your Semrush Data in Databox
- Free Semrush Dashboard Templates
- Easily Monitor and Report Your SEO Data with Databox
What Is Semrush and How Does It Work?
Semrush is a popular SEO tool for conducting keyword research, competitor analysis, and Google Ad optimization.
It is an all-in-one marketing reporting software designed to help digital marketers optimize their websites for better organic search traffic. You can also see how you stack up against your competitors and make better data-driven decisions around what keywords to target for both organic search efforts and Google ad campaigns.
Many of the leading brands use Semrush, including Booking.com, Quora, HP, and eBay.
By using this advanced SEO tool, you can quickly recognize patterns and trends in your specific niche. This will allow you to review your on-page SEO and identify which areas need to be optimized for more efficient lead generation.
Additionally, Semrush is one of the best tools for keyword research. You will gain an insight into which keywords your competitors are applying and see how they are ranked. With the wealthy amount of data you receive, it will be much easier to stay on top of your competition and follow the latest trends.
Although Semrush is used by some of the biggest internet marketers in the world due to its variety of advanced features, it is also very suitable for beginners. You can easily navigate through the platform and even with limited experience, Semrush makes understanding SEO much easier.
To summarize, Semrush works by providing users with an abundance of information that can be used for:
- Improving the overall performance of your website
- Tracking the most popular keywords on Google
- Creating content that has a high chance of drawing visitors
- Finding new opportunities for link-building
- Adjusting the technical elements on your website that will result in better search engine positioning
Is Semrush a Free Tool?
Semrush does have a free version, but it comes with limited services and functionality. Some of the things you can do with a free account are:
- Create and operate one Semrush project
- 10 daily inquiries regarding keyword/competitor research
- Keyword tracking (limited to 10 keywords)
- Examine 100 pages of your website
While these features can be useful for beginners in digital marketing, the free version doesn’t offer nearly as much versatility and benefits as the paid version.
If you aren’t sure whether you should subscribe to Semrush, there is a 14-day free trial to test out their software. Paid plans range from $119.95 to $449.95 per month or $99.95 to $374.95 per month if you pay for an annual subscription.
They also offer an enterprise plan for big brands that require additional flexibility and customization.
What Is the Difference Between Semrush and Google Analytics?
Semrush and Google Analytics are currently the two most popular analytic tools among internet marketers. While they have some similar features, these two offer two completely different types of services.
The main difference between them is that Google Analytics is used by marketers to analyze the internal data on their website, while Semrush shifts the focus to external data and analyzes your competitor’s website.
Acquiring the internal data of your competitor’s website is not possible, so the information you get from Semrush is practically the next best thing.
PRO TIP: How to Monitor and Evaluate Your SEO Performance
If you want to understand how your visitors are behaving on your landing pages, there are several on-page events and metrics you can track from Google Analytics and Google Search Console that will help:
- Organic sessions by landing page. Which landing pages receive the most organic traffic and generate signups?
- Organic goal completions by landing page. Which landing pages reach your conversion goals and which need to be updated or optimized?
- Organic clicks by queries. Which search queries generate the most clicks to your website?
- Organic clicks by page. Which pages receive the most clicks from search results pages?
- Organic sessions. How many organic search sessions does your website receive?
Now you can benefit from the experience of our SEO and website conversion experts, who have put together a plug-and-play Databox template showing the most important metrics for monitoring your landing page performance. It’s simple to implement and start using as a standalone dashboard or in marketing reports, and best of all, it’s free!